AUSTRALIAN RUGBY’S NATIONAL YOUTH COMPETITION KICKS OFF IN 2014
The Junior Gold Cup (JGC) is a national long term talent development and competition program at U15 and U17 age levels. The truly national nature of the JGC competition provides players, coaches, administrators and match officials with the opportunity to be involved in high levels of representative rugby programming and development at a National level on an annual basis whilst maintaining local/regional representation.
The scheduling of the JGC program allows players to compete in a National competition involving 24 teams in each age group while at the same time being able to participate in their local club and school competitions. The JGC program is an evolution of the Junior Gold Program conducted over the past two years and is a key part of Australian Rugby’s “Pathway to Gold” that will provide talented players an opportunity to compete against the best in their age group across Australia. High level performance and development in this competition will provide players with the foundations to push for medium to long term higher level representation including the ARU’s National Gold Squad, State and National U20 teams, the Australian Sevens team and ultimately Super Rugby and the Wallabies.
- Players selected in their regional Junior Gold Cup squad will receive:
- Expert coaching from highly trained local coaches and involvement from fulltime Australian Rugby Elite Programs coaching staff
- Strength and Conditioning programs delivered by highly trained local coaches and designed by fulltime Australian Rugby coaching staff
- An extensive ‘Lifeskills’ program – Australian Rugby’s off field development program promoting character development, respect and behavioural standards
- Training and playing apparel
- National competition involvement and exposure
Training for the JGC will commence in November 2013 and the competition will be conducted from mid-February until the end of March. Selection trials will be held in October in each region. Dates for trials in all centres will be advertised shortly.
Teams participating at both U15 and U17 level are as follows:
Queensland: Brisbane (4), Gold Coast, Darling Downs, Sunshine Coast, Central Qld, Townsville, Cairns
NSW: Sydney (4), Western NSW, Illawarra, Central Coast, Hunter, Northern Inland, North Coast; and
ACT, WA, SA, Victoria
For more information please contact:
0427 763 431